Friday, 25 April 2008

WIRE DOG SHAPES - HOW TO ...

WIRE DOG SHAPES – MASTIFF

To make the wire dog shapes, you first need an appropriate image of the dog shape you want. If you don’t have your own photos (which I did for the German Shepherd) then search the internet (Google it). I usually look for an image that shows a side view of the dog. This, hopefully, allows the resulting wire shape to be recognized as a particular breed. One of the comments made in connection with the BEST IN SHOW kit mentioned that they were waiting for a Mastiff puppy. Therefore, I thought I would use a mastiff image to TRY and illustrate a HOW TO for the wire dog shapes. I found this small image …

I saved it to my working file for the BEST IN SHOW kit and loaded it into PSP. I resized it to 300 ppi and 4 inches wide (height will be proportionately adjusted as long as LOCK ASPECT RATIO is engaged).

Using the PEN TOOL with the following settings … point to point (Bezier), connect segments, create on vector, show nodes, solid line, 20 px wide, anti-alias checked and foreground colour BLACK - background TRANSPARENT – I drew the outline you see below. (Using VECTOR lines (1) automatically creates the outline on a new layer, and (2) allows you to shape the lines to fit the curves of the dog’s body.)






Next, I copied and pasted the outline layer as a new image and changed the black outline to a pale grey











and applied an INNER BEVEL …
I have this as a Word doc file. If anyone wants the doc file just let me know and I'll upload it to 4Shared. I called this a HOW TO because it's not good enough to be classed as a TUTORIAL but I hope it helps some of you. :)
Oh yes, someone asked for the German Shepherd shape. It will be included with the Add-On elements as will the Mastiff shown above.

7 comments:

craftymama said...

Wow thanks for this, I had wondered how this was done now I can have a go for myself.

Tammy aka bunchie said...

I think it's an excellant tutorial and can't wait to get home tonight and try it for my chow Brandi! TY! You have a knack for taking something that seems so complicated and explaining it in simple terms for blockheads like me :)

Ann_Ominous said...

Thanks for the add-on and for the instructions. I'm going to try and see if I can make it work in PSE 6. Of course, I have a lot of line drawings of cockers for the vases that I paint (well, used to), so it looks like I've got a head start there.

Jody said...

Thanks so much - I am going to take a photo of my dog and give this a try this weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a great tutorial - thanks for sharing. Smiles Debbiejw

Anonymous said...

Thanks the tutorial is great. Thanks for the awesome kit. Smiles Debbiejw

Anonymous said...

Looks like a tutorial to me. What a good idea. Bet it would work with non-dogs too. :) Thank you!