Saturday, 26 July 2008

PIRACY IS ALIVE AND WELL!

It seems strange to me that there are those who feel the need to take my free (not copyright free) graphic designs and use them either for monetary gain or to generate feelings of appreciation and thanks for themselves. Vicki at AWP (http://vicki20.blogspot.com/) while investigating the theft of her own designs, recognized files from LilyBelle Scraps and sent me a heads-up comment. Thanks Vicki for taking the time to let me know. When I investigated, I found three of my files from the kit THE WAY WE WERE – Elements 1, Elements 2, and a quickpage.

I wonder if people who do these things realize that the only way I get any reward from offering these freebies (aside from the generous thank-you comments here and at 4Shared which are truly appreciated) is through the number of visitors to LilyBelle Scraps and a few cents when ads are clicked on or the search bar is used. Wouldn’t it be just as easy to send downloaders to LilyBelle Scraps for the link??? There were a total of 138 downloads from her/his folder for the three files – not a lot when you consider that there were thousands of downloads from this blog for these files. Actually, these particular files were pirated before, so how do I know just how many downloads I’ve missed.

I’ve reported the copyright infringement to 4Shared in the hope that they will close her/his account and ban her/him from using 4Shared. I’ve also sent a rebuking email to the only contact information I could find … silvitate@gmail.com

I have become aware that you have uploaded three files from my THE WAY WE WERE kit to your own 4Shared account. I have reported this as COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT to 4Shared. I'm hoping that they will close your account and ban you from any other account at 4Shared. I don't know whether they will or not but in any case, I have to wonder at the mind set of someone who steals the designs of others for monetary gain or even just for the appreciation of others.

Whatever the reason for your piracy - you are not an admirable person!

There is not much else I can do and I’m sure this one pirate is just the “tip of the iceberg” and that there are many, many more out there – sad and disheartening!

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi Fay, I just came back to take a proper look at your blog after my pirate rants and you have some beautiful freebies here. I'll definitely come back to visit again.
Vicki

VJ's Scrap Room said...

Soo sorry you have to go through this too.It's happening more and more often now.:( I've had it happen to me too...especially this last couple of months.It doesn't help to ask nicely either.I've tried asking them to remove my stuff from their account and have given them a week before reporting it to 4shared.I have always had to end up reporting it.:( Which..is not my first choice.!! Hope you get this settled real soon.I know it is upsetting you to have worked so hard and given soo much just to have someone take advantage of you.:(

lovetocraftbetty said...

I am so sorry to here that several of your files have been pirated!! I don't understand why some individuals feel the need to do this.
You so generously share the most beautiful designs!!

Tammy aka bunchie said...

Here we go again! Some people just have no class and will not work for their own benefit through hard work! But, I think you have handled it really great way too. I know it is discouraging to have someone pirate your work. Know that we love and appreciate all you do.

makeyesup said...

Sorry about the pirating. have seen where Vicki caught the ones on her kits. She is also a very sweet and giving person. Can not understand why people do this as they are so many great designers like yourself that are so generous and do it for the love of giving. Hope that between the 2 of you, these people can be stopped.

Pat said...

Fay, I am so sorry that this has happened to you! I don't know why these thieves can't see that designers will only take so much of this activity and will quit offering freebies. They must be interested in digi-scrapping or they wouldn't be visiting these blogs. They are only hurting us all.

Please know that the vast majority of us, look forward to reading your posts and deeply appreciate your sharing your time and talent with us!

I for one, would not object to your forming a membership club, but I know that would create hardship for others and only make more work for you.

Please know, there are MORE of US who appreciate and respect your work than there are of them!

Pat

Tammy Dunlap said...

SO sorry to hear they are doing this to you as well as Vicki. they just dont seem to care or get it I guess I hope that they close their account and ban them like you said though they deserve worse for doing this. I want to say thank you for your time and wonderful freebies you share with us.

tajicat said...

So sad! Some people are awful! You are so generous too! So sorry for your problems!

MarthaElaine said...

Well said, LilyBelle!