Wednesday, 13 April 2011

MORE - NO DOWNLOAD LINKS

Thanks for the comments and your good suggestions. Both the newsletter and password suggestions are good possibilities. I’ve been pondering just how both of these things would work to combat the piracy. There are two ways that the pirates operate … (1) the kits are downloaded (either the preview is extracted from the kit or stolen directly from the blog image) and then uploaded to another site creating a new download link for posting on the pirate’s blog/website with the preview, (2) the download links are taken along with the preview of the product and posted on the pirate’s website. For both (1) and (2) I can request that the owners of the pirate sites remove my designs. They may or may not comply and short of taking them to court there is little I can do about it. If it’s a website outside of the US or Canada, my chances of a happy resolution are next to nil. For (2) the extreme solution is to delete everything from the storage sites (in this case 4Shared and MediaFire) so that when someone clicks on the link they have posted, they get nowhere. The last two incidents of piracy have been a #1 and a #2. The #1 is in Russia (I believe) so there is nothing I can do about that one. I’ve resolved the #2 by removing everything from 4Shared and MediaFire. This, of course, makes all the download links here invalid as well. I’ve already had emails from scrapbookers who, to the best of my knowledge, have never made a single comment, asking that I email certain kits to them. I haven’t decided what to do about that yet.

I’ll be contributing to the May MegaKit at RAKScraps so if you’re a member there you'll get a few things of mine when you download the MegaKit about the middle of May.

I’m still thinking … :)

post signature

7 comments:

Wanda said...

If you decide to do an e-newsletter with passwords let us know so that I can join really quick. I love your creations and would really hate that I can't get any more.

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

Deborah said...

Thanks for posting that you are doing RakScraps for May. Luckly, I'm a member and will be able to continue your great work periodically.

I am soooo sorry that you are having this problem.

Bernadette1 (Bernie) said...

This whole problem is so terrible, and I really wish that these people could be punished with a high penalty. But no matter what "rules" they have broken and what they have stolen, it's so hard to press charges for something like this. I'm so sorry Lilybelle, and hope there might be a resolution for this problem somewhere. But remember this, you do what is best for you. As friends, we should all understand and it really is quite heartbreaking. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Sorry the few are spoiling the fun. I don't know enough about the technical side to give advice, just please know that your designs and freebies have been very much appreciated. Hope life gets easier soon. Best of luck in the future and see you at RAKscraps!

Anonymous said...

myscrapbook says; Appreciate all that you are trying to do to accommodate us. No matter what I hope that you know how much all your hard work has always been appreciated. Bless you

Anonymous said...

I hate that people take advantage of the kindness of others. I had just discovered your site last week. Thank you for sharing your artwork. I hope you find a resolution.

Frances Mary

muttidesaski said...

in Europa we are also copied from "alldays".. It's a world piracy.. thank you for all you done earlier